Monday, March 25, 2013

TESOL 2013: A first timer's experience

I attended my *first* TESOL conference this year.  I learned a lot about attending a conference on this scale.
My colleague, Sarah Snyder, discussing our poster with an attendee

 Here are some things that I would do again:
  • poster presentation
  • volunteer at a PCI
  • gave out business cards
  • had a few copies of my resume
  • scheduled interviews
  • made an attempt at networking 
  • brought business casual clothing
  • stayed relaxed about travel plans—changes happen
  • brought protein bars
  • drank Starbucks (part of "the lifestyle")
Here are things I want to do next time:
  • stay downtown
  • sleep more
  • aim for 3-4 sessions a day
  • attend/volunteer at more PCIs
  • go to an interest section meeting
  • no laptop--too heavy
  • journal more
Overall, a great experience for a job-seeking grad student who is invested in this field. There were so many interesting people and presentations. Glad I could be a part of TESOL 2013.










No comments:

Post a Comment